Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:
Recently, I informed you of a number of campus improvement projects that would be occurring during the summer. In an effort to keep you up to date on our progress, I plan to share a weekly construction update.
First, I want to invite you to attend a summer construction information session. We will host five information sessions between now and August to update you about the ongoing activity and solicit your input and feedback. Click here to read the announcement.
This week’s updates include:
- We are working on considerable renovations in Haven and Flint halls. This work includes creating new “team rooms” for small group activities and quiet study space; replacing current flooring; upgrading network wiring and the fire alarm system; and other important enhancements.
- We are prepping several buildings for roof replacements, including Link Hall, Newhouse II, the Schine Student Center Dining Wing; and the Heroy Geology Laboratory, among others.
- We are working on a new pathway for electrical service to Brewster, Brockway and Boland halls.
- We have begun significant renovations of bathrooms in the long wing of DellPlain Hall, which includes converting multi-user bathrooms to single occupant bathrooms.
- We have initiated the University Place Promenade Project and have completed all site access controls, which includes fencing off the site; establishing temporary walkways at Lyman, Schine and Newhouse; and installing necessary signage. Promenade activity also includes:
- We are in the process of installing additional signage at all impacted buildings and along approaching roadways and sidewalks adjacent to the project site.
- Last week, University Place was officially closed to vehicular traffic and buses are now being rerouted to Waverly and Comstock avenues.
- We have started the regrading process in the area between Slocum and Lyman halls and have begun constructing the new drive from College Place to the Quad 2 Parking Lot.
- Electrical infrastructure work is underway in the area north of Machinery Hall.
- A temporary water main has been installed, and we are currently connecting that main to surrounding buildings. This will allow for the existing water main to be taken out of service and replaced in the next two weeks.
As we are working on more than 120 projects this summer; the aforementioned updates are just a sampling of the work currently underway.
I also want to share with you one road closure that may affect some of you. Comstock Avenue will be closed between Waverly Avenue and Marshall Street, and Waverly Avenue will be closed between Comstock and Ostrom avenues. This closure is tentatively scheduled to last through Aug. 15. The intersection of Waverly and Comstock avenues will remain open. A map detailing the closure can be found here.
Additionally, due to resealing work, the enclosed stairway leading from Irving Avenue to Falk College will be temporarily closed beginning on Wednesday, June 8. This project should be complete by Monday, June 20. Alternative routes are available and described here.
If you have any construction-related questions, comments or suggestions, contact Jim Blum, project manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. For parking concerns, call Parking and Transit Services at 443-4652. And, if you have questions pertaining to accessibility, contact Aaron Hodukavich, director and ADA coordinator in the Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services, at 443-2377 or email@example.com.
To stay up to date on construction progress, please visit facilities.syr.edu.
Vice President & Chief Campus Facilities Officer