Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:
The last seven days have been especially productive for the Division of Campus Planning, Design and Construction. Since my last update on Monday, June 6, significant progress has been made.
This week’s updates are:
- BBB Electrical Service Replacement: Excavation and ductbank construction is underway along the west edge of the Stadium Parking Lot. As the work continues north, we will provide notice for the upcoming closure of Van Buren Street. We anticipate this road closure to occur from July 11-22. We will provide more information shortly.
- Classroom and Auditorium Improvements: Classroom technology improvements are now underway in Bowne Hall, Watson Auditorium, 032 Eggers, as well as at other locations.
- CST Siding Replacement: Most of the existing siding has been removed and insulation board is being installed.
- Dellplain, Haven and Flint Hall Renovations: Demolition and environmental remediation are progressing well and new work in student dorm rooms and restrooms is underway.
- Heroy Geology Building: Work has begun on the construction of the new space that will house the National Science Foundation Research Traineeship Program. Renovations are also underway on a variety of spaces in Heroy.
- HBC Elevator: Work to replace the elevator in HBC began this week. This new elevator will provide accessible service to the Gifford Auditorium level for the first time and is anticipated to be in service in mid-August.
- Quad Improvement Project: The quad improvement project power, data and water infrastructure work is wrapping up, and fencing around the Quad will be going up shortly. The installation of tent tie-downs, power, data and irrigation will commence next week.
- Roof Replacements: Roof replacements across campus are moving quickly and are occurring at the Schine Student Center Dining Wing, Newhouse 2, Falk College, Heroy Geology and Link Hall.
- Steam Projects: Steam line replacements are well underway in front of Sims Hall, with the new condensate line backfilled and site restoration commencing. Efforts will now shift to the condensate line replacement at the entry to the Q-4 Parking Lot, which will have minor impacts on traffic in and out of the lot for the next two weeks. The major steam line replacement project at the intersection of Waverly and Comstock avenues started last week and is already moving quickly.
- Tennity Ice Pavilion: The existing ice rink cooling system has been decommissioned and is being removed. The installation of a new cooling system will begin over the next few weeks.
- University Place Promenade: The road and walkways have been removed and regrading of the new Quad 2 Parking Lot drive has begun. Electrical infrastructure construction in the Quad 2 Parking Lot will be largely completed this week. The temporary water main is in service on the west side of the project, where the first sections of new water main have been installed.
As a reminder, we will host the first of five summer construction information sessions on Wednesday, June 15, at 9:30 a.m. in Lyman Auditorium. For more information, please visit SU News.
If you have any construction-related questions, comments or suggestions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. For parking concerns, call Parking and Transit Services at 443-4652. And, if you have questions pertaining to accessibility, contact Aaron Hodukavich, director and ADA coordinator in the Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services, at 443-2377 or email@example.com.
To track construction progress, please visit facilities.syr.edu.
Vice President & Chief Campus Facilities Officer