Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:
We have passed the mid-point of the summer construction season, and projects are progressing well due to the hard work of University staff and contractors. Many people work six and seven days a week to improve our campus during the summer months. We appreciate the patience of the campus community as we make the final push to complete projects during the next month. At this point in the summer, all of our exterior projects have become evident, including the roof replacement at the Center for Science and Technology, Hendricks Chapel stair replacement and Crouse College masonry improvements. The Waverly Avenue utility project has made good progress during the recent dry weather and is scheduled to be complete in mid-August.
Other significant projects include the following:
- Carnegie Library: Continuation of a multi-phase renovation project. The work this summer includes the conversion of the heating system from steam to a hot water system and creation of two student group study rooms.
- Classroom Improvements: Work is underway in Link Hall rooms 373 and 331 and Center for Science and Technology room 3-116 to update room finishes and technology in these three classrooms.
- Crouse College Masonry and Skylight Repairs: Final measurements have been taken, and the glazing for the skylights above the band room have been ordered for replacement in August. Masonry repair work is underway and will continue into the fall.
- Goldstein Student Center: Full upgrade/replacement of the fire alarm system.
- Parking Garage Repair and Renewal: Concrete repair, restoration and sealing in all six University garages will begin this month and continue into the fall.
- Parking Lot Repair: Asphalt paving, crack sealing and restriping of University parking lots, including the Standart lot, Manley North and South bus lane, Women’s Building south and several other parking lots during the months of July and August.
- Replacement of the Hendricks Chapel Main Steps: Demolition is complete, the bottom few steps have been formed and concrete was poured earlier this week. Concrete work will progress to the top steps throughout the summer in preparation for the placement of new, more durable granite treads.
- Residence Halls: Work continues at a swift pace in Day Hall, DellPlain Hall and Haven Hall. Improvements include the creation of single-user accessible bathrooms and student room modifications.
- Syracuse Stage: Renovations to the existing bathrooms in Archbold Theater into new accessible restrooms have begun. This project is anticipated to be complete the first week of September.
- Women’s Building: Installation of a new wood sprung dance floor in room 211 is complete.
To see a full listing of summer construction projects, as well as maps indicating the areas affected by the projects above, please visit the Campus Planning, Design and Construction (CPDC) website. This website is updated regularly. Please reach out to the assigned CPDC manager, who is listed on the website next to each project, with any questions you may have.
To learn more about the Campus Framework, please visit CampusFramework.syr.edu. There, you can provide your feedback and have your questions answered in real time.
If you have any construction-related questions, comments or suggestions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. For parking concerns, call Parking and Transit Services at 315.443.4652. For questions pertaining to accessibility, contact Aaron Hodukavich, director and ADA coordinator in the Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services (EOIRS) office, at 315.443.2377 or email@example.com.
Vice President and Chief Facilities Officer