Dear Students, Faculty and Staff:
With the winter weather we experienced in March it is hard to believe spring is here, and our busiest season of construction is quickly approaching. The safety of our campus community is always our first priority. For everyone’s safety, I encourage you to remain alert in work areas for route changes, follow the pedestrian signs and visit the Campus Planning, Design and Construction’s Site Impact/Road Closure webpage for additional information.
The following is a list of construction projects that are active now, as well as a few highlighted summer construction projects that will be happening around campus:
- Campus Utility Upgrades: There are three main areas that continue to be impacted during utility upgrades and progress will be achieved in several phases.
- Utility improvements in the Newhouse 3 lawn area are scheduled to be completed in April with the sidewalk and lawn areas fully restored by Commencement.
- Utility upgrades in the Q-1 parking lot will pause for Commencement activities and then continue throughout the summer. Work will progress from Q-1 along the front of Heroy, along the west and south side of Steele Hall toward the Quad. This work is scheduled to be completed in August prior to the start of the fall semester.
- Archbold Gymnasium: Demolition work continues on the interior spaces. Exterior demolition of the southern portion of the building will begin during the second week of April. To safely complete this work, the driveway and sidewalk between Archbold and the Dome will close later this month and will remain closed through August 2019. With an eye toward summer, please note that utility construction associated with the Archbold project will close Sims Drive between Flanagan Gymnasium and Archbold Gymnasium from May 14 to August 20. More information on this road closure will be shared with the campus community as the end of the semester approaches. Additional information on site impacts and road closures can be found at the CPDC website facilities.syr.edu/closures/. Renovation of Archbold includes the creation of the Barnes Center at The Arch, a new state-of-the-art health, wellness and recreation complex. The building is scheduled to open in fall 2019.
- National Veterans Resource Center (NVRC): Construction activity and excavation for the NVRC building’s foundation is underway at the intersection of Waverly and South Crouse avenues. Site preparation and progress, views from the construction camera and the latest building updates are available on the NVRC website. The building is scheduled to open in spring 2020.
- Crouse College Masonry Restoration: While we halted exterior work during the winter months, the project has resumed to install replacement stones to match the historic masonry.
In addition, some of our highlighted summer construction projects include the following:
- Brewster Brockway Boland Plaza renovation
- Brockway Dining Hall renovation
- Hall of Languages Classroom Renovations Phase 2 (rooms 111, 114, 115, 211, 214, 215 and 421)
- Day Hall student room renovations—Phase 1
- Day Hall single-user accessible showers and restroom renovations—Phase 2
- Hendricks Chapel HVAC infrastructure and cooling upgrades
- Lyons Hall student room renovations
- Slocum Heights roof replacement (Building 570 and 580)
A full listing of summer construction projects is being updated now and will be listed by building on the Campus Planning, Design and Construction (CPDC) website. Please refer to this website periodically to see what is occurring across campus, and feel free to reach out to the CPDC manager assigned with any questions you may have.
If you have any construction-related questions, comments or suggestions, please email email@example.com. For parking concerns, call Parking and Transit Services at 315.443.4652.
Vice President and Chief Facilities Officer